The application period is closed for our upcoming Veterans Organizing Institute (VOI), scheduled for December 6-9, 2018 in Phoenix, AZ .
The next training is scheduled for June 2019 in Portland, OR. The application form will be posted in early January.
Veterans Organizing Institute
Do you know veterans who would be interested in the VOI? Please help us to spread the word.
The Veterans Organizing Institute (VOI) is a three-day leadership retreat for veterans currently involved in progressive social movements — or who are looking to get involved.
We are living in a moment of unprecedented political flux with growing instability both at home and abroad. Our communities are increasingly under attack both from established political forces and rising right-wing extremists. Yet this is also a moment of tremendous opportunity as growing powerful social movements have created a new wave of civic engagement. Against this backdrop, we believe veterans leadership and action has never been more important.
The VOI will provide training on:
- Veterans and social change – understanding the unique role of former service members in past and current social justice efforts.
- Messaging and narrative strategy – how to craft and deliver resonant messages to reach your intended audience.
- Media and speaking skills – preparing to present your message to multiple audiences and the news media.
- Grassroots organizing skills – identifying issues, designing strategic campaigns, and selecting winning tactics
- Political analysis – understanding the social, economic, political, and historical forces that have led to the current political moment.
Our training team comes to this work with extensive experience from across a broad range of movements and praxis, as strategists, movement educators, academics, facilitators, and on-the-ground organizers in domestic and international issues.
We are committed to creating training opportunities for all veterans, especially those who represent directly impacted communities, including women, people of color, Indigenous, Muslim, LGBTQ+, and disabled veterans.
Apply now via the application form below. We offer a sliding scale for registration fees.
Funds for travel are limited, so be sure to submit your application early if you plan to request support.
You will need to have Proof of Service to complete the application form. Acceptable forms of proof include a DD-214, military or veteran ID card, military orders or awards. If you have a question about this requirement, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Space is limited! Not everyone who applies will be selected for the training. Decisions will be based on the following criteria:
- Valid proof of service
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice and active engagement after the training
- Diversity of the applicant pool
We will respond to applicants on a rolling basis. You will be contacted after submitting the application by a member of our facilitation team.
Please note: After you submit the application form you will see a “Thank You” page and receive a confirmation email. If you don’t see both of those, we did not receive your submission. Unfortunately, you will need to resubmit.
The Veterans Organizing Institute is a program of Beyond the Choir. We partner with social justice organizations to craft resonant messaging, plan strategic campaigns, and mobilize larger bases of support. Our name captures the core of our mission: in order to build movements capable of winning real change, we need to do more than just “preach to the choir.”